Monday 25 March 2013

Rewrite: Day 15. Long story, short story

I achieved three things today: Chapter 8 of the novel, 750 words on 'morning pages' and a short story for The Bath Short Story Award.
Chapter 8 is the door into Part Two of the novel. This is where it gets exciting, isn't it? If Part One of the novel is the set up and Part Three is the run-out, then Part Two is where it all happens. Part Two is, it seems to me, where novelists can enjoy themselves, break all the rules and let rip. In her interview in The Guardian on Saturday, Julie Myerson is reported as saying: 
"I increasingly feel that writers aren't taking risks and that disappoints me. I like brave writing."
Part Two is the place for 'brave writing'. I'm not sure if I managed any today but ...

One thing that could help 'brave writing' is the 750 words webpage, which gives you a platform for your daily free writing. Write anything you want, but write 750 words. This morning was my first serious attempt and I ended up with more than I needed. After 350 words or so, I got lost in the writing and only came to the surface with 920 words on the board. I didn't notice the words tick by.

The third thing was the short story. I added some material and then polished and etched the text to make it shine. I think it's ready. I have been reading through on the Tab2 but when I wanted to make a correction involving more than three words the Tab2 crashed. Three words? I dashed upstairs to the studio and made the corrections on the laptop. All fixed now, I think. Tomorrow will be submission day - but I'd better make sure I read the Rules first. Not my strong point. It's sub clinical autism. Well, that's my excuse.

Ends

No comments:

Post a Comment