Wednesday 27 March 2013

Rewrite: Day 17. Driving the plot.

It's a driving day today, and it will be again tomorrow because I'm off to Bristol and Beaconsfield for family birthdays and Easter. Not much writing, but I'll be thinking about how many plates Broderick can keep in the air and what he needs to do to keep them spinning. 
More plates! More plates! I hear you cry. 

The problems come when the plates take on a life of their own which they tend to do, especially when they are people as they are most of the time. People cause problems. There are, it is true, 'circumstances beyond our control', 'forces of nature' and even 'Acts of God' but these need to be used sparingly. Or maybe not. It depends what sort of book you're writing. Why not let rip all the forces in heaven and earth? Could make for an interesting ride. I will be thinking as I drive.

But here's a little something I came up with yesterday. 

What Broderick did
[OHJ flies in?]
[OHJ meets PAS]
[Aerial survey]

Drove van
Talked to Rachel
Recalled Edinburgh
Met Hashay (f/b)
Made pass at Rachel
Looked for Berenice
Found Berenice
Received news

Motive
Pursue crooks
Make connections
Find Nighthawks

Get home
Assess progress
Companionship
Explore origin, confess
Attraction
Parental responsibility
accidental
[Job or no job]
Value
Spin story
Personal chemistry
Problem context

Link drama
Fix story progress
Deepen relationship
Reveal backstory
Conflict relationship
Add complexity
Show values
Personal stake

It's a chapter action chart. 
The idea was to focus my attention on What Broderick Did. Does it help? I'm not sure. I made one for both Chapters 8 and 9 at the top of the chapter, scanning through the paragraphs very quickly to pick out the main events and then analysed them, crudely, for Broderick Action.
I could add a fourth column: Spinning plates.
 
I'll see. After Easter, I will revisit the idea. 

What do you think? Could be helpful? Yes... or No... ?
Ends

No comments:

Post a Comment