Tuesday 2 April 2013

Rewrite: Day 23. Back in the day.

I went some way today to fixing Chapter 9. Got a more Broderick approach to it and with the help of yesterday's twelve-cycle schema, I injected some much needed sense of purpose into the whole thing. This is all madness, of course, this twelve-cycle thing. You know it is and I know it is but don't tell anyone else. At one point, one of the characters asks "Are all archaeologists mad?" Archaeologists may not be but writers surely are.

I started the day by writing my 750 words on 750words.com - it is a way of dragging myself out of early morning grogginess and into the daylight of composition. I ended up with over 1k words which was a good effort. One thing the exercise demonstrated to me was that I could write 1000 words in an hour. In the light of that, a chapter a day should not be too much to ask. It depends on who you're asking and when.

Last week, I said that Part Two, where I am now, was a place for the author to let their hair down and go for broke. For that, I need to do more of these 750-word-type exercises, free writing, letting it all come out - which is what I did in the first draft, back in the day. I need to kick the (re-)structuring habit and kick-start the inspiration. Let the words flow.

Next 750+ words coming up.
Ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment