Saturday 20 April 2013

Rewrite: Day 41. Plot and sub-Plot

I started off the day by creating a new Plot/sub-Plot grid for the novel to clarify how it all fits together. I started with a list of the main events in the plot line of the protagonist, writing it down out of my head without reference to any other notes or lists. Then I identified the other key characters (antagonists) and marked a + sign against each event in which they were involved. I ended up with seven lists of + signs. 

The next step was to fill in the missing events, that is, events that do not primarily involve the protagonist. I have to admit that at this stage I did refer to a previously compiled list of chapter headings just to make sure I was not missing anything and there were a few things that needed to be added in.

I am pleased with the result. It gives me a check list against which I can measure my progress in compiling and rewriting the chapters.

I have a busy week coming up and so this will be my last blog post for a few days but I will be back and continuing with the rewrite asap. Have a good week!

PS I listened to CD Review on BBC Radio 3 while I worked on the plot grid: a perfect Saturday morning.
Ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment