Friday 5 April 2013

Rewrite: Day 26. The lost file.

I could not find it anywhere but I knew I had altered the text and done some extensive editing. Where was it? I found three versions of the file all labelled Chapter 13 but they were all the same. They all contained the unedited text. I gave up. I closed the files and walked away. 

On the way out the door I thought - search. I went back to the computer and found the search box. It took a few goes before I found the appropriate keyword to search on. Then I found it and I got six results: three copies of Chapter 13 and three copies of a Chapter 4. Chapter 4? I opened the file and there it was, the altered text, edited and transposed into a completely different place. Chapter 4? I copied the text and pasted it into the file and saved it. It is now safely held in Chapter 12, the new Chapter 12 that is. Well, it is closer to Chapter 13 than Chapter 4.

I did do some other work on the novel. I did a bit of light editing on Chapter One. (Yes, I know, but my head still wasn't up to much and I'm still sore around the gills.) I did my 750 before lunch. That's four days in a row! After lunch, and after taking the dog for a walk, I did a bit of compiling for Chapter 12 (see above).

I have a plan and I'm still on track. I reckon another two months, give or take a year, should see it done.
Ends

No comments:

Post a Comment