Monday 8 April 2013

Rewrite: Day 29. Occupy the Liminal Lands.

It is at the edges, in between and in the places of transition that the writing is done, creative writing, of any kind, and where the story grows. You have to occupy the liminal lands to find the story and that is where I have been trekking today, uphill and down dale, looking for the way forward.

In fact, I have not done much writing today apart from my quota of 750 words. Instead I have toyed around with Chapter One, which is exactly where I should not be, and I have split Chapter One into two parts. I also uploaded some text to Chapter 13, so I have not been a complete slacker. Was it Chapter 13? Yes, it was. It begins:
The Summer Dig began at Water Lane, down the hill outside the village, on Wednesday 22nd July. The morning was interrupted by a shout from the far side of the trench and Broderick went across to see what was up.

Here is an extract from the 750 which  shows my drift, I mean, which way I'm steering.
An invitation to [a certain place] is the beginning of Broderick's journey into the liminal lands where he can meet and understand those who lived before and understand the connections that stand, perhaps unrecognised, across the divide. There is a divide, it is the divide within ourselves and within society wrought by rationality and pride, but there are connections and the connections are strong.
Ends

No comments:

Post a Comment