Thursday 18 April 2013

Rewrite: Day 39. A mad dash to the top.

I have compiled four chapters, Chapters 22, 23, 24 and 25. 
I wanted to get to the top. 

They all need work, of course, and there is a lot of editing to be done, but the basic stuff is there. It is something to work with. I am eager to get on and I want to get past the summit, and the put crisis that it involves behind me. I want to get onto the descent and work towards the resolution. But I cannot avoid the crisis and I will have to work my way through it. It is the big turning point of the book and, after that, everything is downhill even if the descent is rocky.

I have also done some editing on Chapter Two. 
Things are moving in the right direction.

I have discovered that my protagonist is an angry man. That's a given, I suppose, considering his age and status, but I had not realised how all pervasive it was. By the point of the crisis, the climax, he is anger personified. This does not bode well.

Tonight I am going to hear two special poets, two poets laureate: Carol Ann Duffy and Gillian Clarke.
Carol Ann Duffy was appointed Britain’s poet laureate in May 2009. She has won the Somerset Maugham Award; the Whitbread Poetry Award; the Dylan Thomas Award from the Poetry Society and in 2012 the PEN/Pinter Prize. Her most recent book, The Bees, won the 2011 Costa Poetry Award and the 2011 T.S. Eliot Prize.
Gillian Clarke has been the National Poet of Wales since 2008 and she was awarded the Queen’s Gold Medal for Poetry in 2010 and the Wilfred Owen Award 2012.
Poets at Aberystwyth Arts Centre:
Ends

No comments:

Post a Comment